Monday, December 31, 2012

Goodbye 2012...Hello 2013

Well, it's been quite a while since I updated so I thought today might be a good time.  I guess after a month of doctor appointments, testing and surgery and then a month of recovery I just kind of got caught up in living "normal" again.  Life got back to busy very fast and I wouldn't trade it for the world!! 

My work schedule got back to more regular hours right around Thanksgiving time.  I was able to stop the pain meds and was only taking a valium at night to help sleep.  Unfortunately, it didn't seem to be helping that sleep part very much, but did help with the muscle relaxation.  The sleeping part has been somewhat of a struggle, but definitely seems to be getting better.  I've been taking the Tamoxifen (hormone blocker) for almost two moths now.  My sister had mentioned that it took almost 8 months before she started with any side effects...I was not so lucky!!  In the third week I started with hot flashes in the middle of the night.  I'm usually always cold, so very rare for me to get hot, but it would alternate through the night...hot, cold, hot, cold.  That has now changed some and I typically wake between 3:30 - 4:00 in the morning just hot or almost sweating...yuck!!  Not looking forward to the full fledged side effects that will come.  Another friend has said she experiences hot/ sweat flashes during the night as well as a few late in the afternoon.  I'm sure it effects everyone differently, but I'm sure I haven't seen the worst of that.

This is a medication that originally I was told I would be on for 5 years; however, the oncologist had informed me that a new study was in progress and the results of that have recently been published.  The results indicate that she'll more than likely have me take it for 10 years instead of just the 5 years.  I've included the link for anyone interested http://www.chron.com/communityblogs/atmosphere/article/Longer-tamoxifen-use-cuts-breast-cancer-deaths-4097374.php

The first week in December I had follow appointments with both my oncologist and the plastic surgeon.  All went well and I'm free of dr. appointments (unless there's a concern) until June...YAY!!!  I tried getting the oncologist to do a brain scan as they didn't do that originally.  She continues to tell me that my type of BC doesn't typically spread to the brain.  I think I was just concerned because I was talking somewhat crazy for a while.  My head definitely seems to be much clearer now, so I'm some of it was still for anesthesia and of course pain meds.  Actually, as I'm writing this blog, I've realized I haven't had to "backspace" nearly as much as I used to...LOL  My typing and spelling is much better these days!!!  I'm not quite sure when I'll do another CT scan, but at least not until this summer.

As far as the reconstruction part, things are still healing a bit internally.  My left side (BC) side has been a little slow at EVERYTHING!!!  It was the more troubling side after surgery and it still causing me pain off and on.  At times, it feels as if someone has a hold of my skin and is pinching and twisting...NOT A GOOD FEELING!!!  Doc says the tightness on that side will loosen up with time and "help".  I've realized that stretching my arms behind my back, which sends a constant burning sensation on the backside of my arm/ shoulder area helps relieve the pain.  I just noticed last night, that the left side is finally starting to drop into place (it's been a slow process as I mentioned before). 

The feeling on the backside of my left arm and in my armpit is finally starting to recover from the nerve damage from the lymph node removal.  It's so super sensitive though.  At times, even the my clothes rubbing against my skin irritates me.  Keith keeps asking me how it feels and the best description I could come up with is when your foot is asleep and you try and stand/ walk on it and it tingles and sends the shooting pains through the foot...that's sort of what it feels like.  It doesn't bother me as much if I touch it, but if other touch it...NO BUENO!!!  I noticed in December that most everyone seemed to touch me on that side and behind that arm and I "gritted my teeth" through many hugs this month.  I am glad to be getting the feeling back though, as mnay have told me they haven't.  I've actually come to realize how fortunate I am that I've come as far as I've come with just one surgical procedure.  Many friends, acquaintances and people I have met have went through so much worse...my heart feels for them.  I know what it was like just going through what I went through and many of these women have went through so much more and then chemo on top of that...HATE THIS CANCER!!!

So with all that said, I am more than ready to say Goodbye to 2012 and all it dealt.  I pray that cancer got the best of me it's EVER gonna get in 2012.  I'm ready for a New Year and I know God has great things in store for me and my family!!  I'm looking forward to bringing in the New Year with my beautiful family and some wonderful friends tonight.  Hello 2013!!!

Happy New Year from our family to yours!!

Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment