Thursday, November 15, 2012

44 Days and counting

Sorry, I haven't blogged in a while, but we're now about 44 days post surgery and things are starting to get somewhat back to normal (whatever that is; right?).  After 43 days of sleeping in the recliner in Keith's man cave, I finally tried my bed out last night.  It was very nice to stretch out and the bed itself was very comfy (especially since we've added like a 2 1/2 memory foam pad to it), but I just couldn't get real comfortable.  I tossed and turned quite a bit, which made two night of not sleeping so well.  So I can honestly say, that I came home from work today around 3:00, changed into some comfy lounge wear and crawled into my bed and didn't get up until around 7:00.  The pain is gone and so is the energy!!!

This is my first week back to work on a daily basis.  I'm still only working 4 - 4.5 hours, but I just get fatigued so easily.  I'm just trying to work my way back up to regular hours and am just blessed that my employers are so understanding and supportive!!  We are actually participating in a volunteer opportunity tomorrow at the Houston Food Bank (3 hours shifts).  I'm excited about having my chilidren participate as well, but I could end up being the professional photographer for the day...LOL  Me and Ryleigh together might be considered one person...HAHA!!

So as I mentioned, we're just trying to get life back to normal.  The great thing is that the kids have really not seemed to have been bothered by the entire process or at least they haven't really showed it.  I know they never let up on me much!!!  But I'm truly blessed that they stayed so strong and didn't let it get them down or affect their regular routine.  And, of couse, I was thrilled to find out about not needing to do chemo treatment as I know that is the hardest part for the kids as that makes it seem so "real" to them.  It's often hard for them to understand that things are going to 'look' worse before they look better.  As much as I may say they give me a "hard" time (the little ones), I am so very proud of them!!

Rance is keeping busy with his fencing and doing well in school (could do much better if he actually studied - our big challenge with him).  He's ok with "getting by" and I'm like, "think what you could do if you really applied yourself!!"  I think he'll end up in sales like his dad, he's a go-getter when it comes to that kind of stuff.  His school just recently had their fundraiser and he was one of the top two in sales - it was a tie!!  He got several different prizes, but there was a $100 cash award for the top sales person and he received half of that yesterday - he was pretty stoked!!!  He brought home a nice crisp $50 bill.  Below is a picture of him this past Saturday arriving at his fencing tournament...not quite awake as it was early in the morning ;-)  This is only his third Houston Cup to attend and he's getting better and better every time!!!



Ryleigh, of course, is staying busy with gymnastics, school work and trying to maintain a social life.  She's in the gym for 12 hours a week and often does her homework in the car and has a homework day on Thursday with her best friend as it's both of their "off" days from gymnastics/ cheer.  They really enjoy their Thursdays together :-)  She has had a tough year with a broken hand and then moving gyms just four weeks before her first competition this season, but she fought her way into the top 10 competitors in the South State Texas meet and will compete at the State meet in December amongst the top 20 Level 5 gymnasts in her age group.  We are very proud of her!!



Our oldest daughter Jourdan is doing well, working and just moved into a rental house.  She is preparing for our granddaughter, Annibelle's, first birthday this Saturday, November 17th.  Can't believe it's been a year already!!  She's definitely keeping mom and dad on their toes now that she's mastered the art of walking :-)  She had her first visit to the zoo and it looks like her and mom had fun monkeying around...LOL


Thank you all for your continued support, encouraging words, thoughts and prayers.  They do not go unnoticed!  It means a lot to me to have so many of my friends from many walks of my life come by and visit, send a sweet card in the mail or even a little trinket that I can cherish.  You guys are the BEST!!! 

And BTW, thank you notes are a "work in progress" and will go out soon!!

Love and Belief!!

Dana







1 comment:

  1. I just love you D! You are such an inspiration! Can't wait to see you soon!!

    ReplyDelete