Friday, March 1, 2013

5 Months Post Surgery Update

Wow!!  It's actually hard to believe that my surgery took place just 5 months ago today.  To me it seems much longer - I guess that's a good thing!!  I have started running and working out again and for the most part all is going well with that.  I do sometimes get sore or tender around my ribcage area just depending on the workout.  Some of it I believe is just natural soreness, but also I think some is due to the sutures stretching.  I have realized I have limitations, especially when it comes to weights and I'm okay with that :-)

I am very happy to report that the numbness for the most part on the backside of my left arm/ armpit area is gone.  I no longer need assistance to shave my armpits...LOL  I would say that probably 90+% of the nerve damage has repaired itself.  I am very thankful for that as it was very sensitive and annoying for even my shirt sleeve to rub up against it.  I'm not going to hold out so much hope for other areas to regain their sensitivity ;-)  don't think that's ever gonna happen!!

So I've been on the hormone treatment now for approximately 4 months and I definitely don't think my body has come to a stabalized reaction.  It seems to be all over the place!!  I take my medicine at night and have mostly only experienced side effects (hot flashes, night sweats) during the night.  Other people I have talked to have said they also experience them during the day as well.  I think I've had two hot flashes during the day...I usually stay ice cold - to the bone!!!  I have been doing some reading on others' blogs and several have mentioned that they felt taking Effexor with the Tamoxifen decreased their side effects and I had my dr. prescribe Effexor (antidepressant) to me when I started the Tamoxifen (because I like my children breathing).  Maybe that's why the effects have seemed more on the mild side.  I'm assuming that as it builds up in my system I may experience more aggressive hot flashes, etc.  I've also wondered how it might differ should I take the medicine in the morning???  If you or someone you know is on or has done this hormone treatment, I'd be interested in your feedback.

Currently, I am scheduled for checkups with both the plastic surgeon and the oncologist in June.  Again, I feel very lucky that all has been so successful to this point.  It's crazy how just the right people come into your path after something like this happens (thanks Nancy Brown for the reminder to always pray for those people).  I have a new friend, Kara Ward, who has gone through this same surgery and my heart just goes out to her.  She has experienced many complications and numerous surgeries over the past few years and is currently dealing with an infection.  On that same note, I have a few close friends that have recently been diagnosed with different types of cancer and I pray that their treatments are successful.  Please continue to be in prayer for all those affected by this disease and support the cause for finding a cure!!

Well, other than it being my 5 month anniversary, today has turned out to be another significant day in my life.  Today was my last day at Quick, Cunningham & Associates (Ameriprise Financial).  I started with them just a few months after we moved to the Spring area in 2008 and I am really going to miss them all.  They have all been so very good to me and so supportive through my diagnosis, surgery, and recovery.  I wish them all continued success and don't worry, I won't be a stranger!!!  If you're in the need of a financial planner, give them a call www.brucequick.com

The next few weeks will definitely be fun, exciting, and busy!!  Monday I start a new job with the amazing Colleen Ellison (very good friend for many years).  I'm truly humbled and extremely honored that she placed this amazing opportunity in front of me.  I will be working out of the home, assisting her, and supporting her national sales team for Digital Map Products.  In addition, the family and I head out next weekend for an Orlando/ Destin spring break vacation.  We'll be meeting my mom and my sister's family in Orlando for my niece's cheer competition and then spending three days at Universal Studios.  Mid week, we'll head back and stay in Destin for a few days where my mom will join us.  As much as I'm not looking forward to putting on a bathing suit, I am looking extremely looking forward to some "Toes in the Water, @$$ in the Sand, and an adult beverage in HAND"!!  HAHA!!!  The water is going to be way too cold for this Texas girl!!

Before I go, I must wish my Mallards Cove Peeps a successful and safe 1/2 marathon run tomorrow.  I wish I was joining you!!  Looks like my time will be this coming fall after the Ten for Texas unless Shelleen wants to do the 1/2 in Puerto Rico ;-) 

Also sending out a BIG Happy Birthday shout out to Miss Emma Dunnam...RIP sweet girl :o)

Love & Belief!!

Dana

No comments:

Post a Comment