Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Check...Check...Check!!!

So yesterday I had checkups with all three of my doctors...The girls literally got the triple CHECK!!  And approval so to speak...LOL  I had appointments scheduled with my plastic surgeon and my oncologist since December; however, due to a tender spot that showed up on "righty" I was a bit concerned and decided to go see the breast surgeon as well.  All three doctors felt confident to say it's just scar tissue.  I would be lying if I told you I wasn't a little apprehensive about the spot, even though I know the chances of breast cancer recurring in the breast after a mastectomy is less than 1%.  Also, the fact that it wasn't the side with the original cancer made it less likely.  I just felt better with letting them make that call.

So the oncologist informed me that I'm "normal".  Okay, so maybe not me, but my blood work is.  HAHA!!  All cancer markers came back normal and my Vitamin D level is finally in the normal range.  My level was in the upper 20's when I was diagnosed and a normal range should be in the 40's.  A Vitamin D deficiency puts you at a much great risk of developing breast cancer.  Please read:
http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/05/12/vitamin-d-may-prevent-breast-cancer.aspx

I have to admit that prior to my diagnosis, I hadn't had blood work done since probably 2007.  I was very good about having annual exams with my OB/GYN; however, she stopped ordering blood work for just annual exams and only does that for her OB patients.  Ladies, please make sure you're having blood work done on an annual basis.

So with that said, I received a 6 month green light!!  I'll go back for checkups in December, which will also include a CT scan.

***********************
 
Life since my last post

When I posted back in March, our family was preparing for a spring break vacation to Universal Studios/ Orlando and Destin Beach.  We had a BLAST!!!  The kids totally loved and enjoyed their time at Universal Studios and the few days at the beach was exactly what momma and daddy needed - a vacation from the vacation :-)  It was nice to have my mom with us in Destin as well.  The kids really LOVED having Nana there.


When I returned home from Florida, it was time to hit the ground running with my new job.  It was a very fast paced first few months.  I traveled to beautiful Orange County, CA, in late April for corporate meetings and training.  While I was there, I had the opportunity to see a very dear friend, Angel Coe.  Her name suits her well.  She truly was an "angel" to my family during a very difficult time.  While pregnant with Ryleigh and on bed rest, Angel helped with our grocery shopping, picked up Rance from pre-school and was just a great friend to a complete stranger!!  Granted, her and I are not the type of people to meet a stranger, but you know what I mean.  We both attended the same church, and she had overheard Keith talking to someone else in the church about my condition and she stepped up in a very BIG way!!!  I was so thankful for the time her and I got to share together recently.


So May brought more than just flowers...it brought more traveling!!  All good!!!  My job sent me to Vegas in mid-May for a three day trade show.  Let's just say, we were all BEAT after day one!!  Our feet were KILLING us!!  The trip was intended to be "all" business; however, last minute my husband was able to make arrangements to join me (with the help of my mom and neighbors) and coordinate with my boss a little time for ADVENTURE!!!!  On May, 20th Keith and I celebrated our 18th year of marriage with a great dinner, compliments of Mike Rodgers (Thank you!) and a day to remember!!  We took a helicopter ride from Las Vegas to the Grand Canyon.  It was truly AMAZING!!!  We landed in the Canyon for a champagne toast, snack and a totally WOW moment!!!  Thank you, Keith, for an amazing anniversary and a wonderful 22+ years!!!  Sometimes I wonder how you put up with me ;-)



We returned from Vegas for a few days and then headed to San Antonio for the long Memorial Day weekend with the family!!  We always enjoy the Wild Oak Ranch and are actually planning to head back there again this weekend with friends/ family!!!  Can't wait!! Looking forward to being able to take litte Miss Annibelle there soon.  She's growing so fast and we absolutely love spending time with her.

So now it's summertime and I'm faced with the challenge of working from home with kids around, but hey, WE GOT THIS!!!  The kids are actually so busy that they're not around that much.  Ryleigh's in the gym for 16 hours a week and Rance has swim practice and Splashtown!! 

I know I've not been good at posting lately.  I guess for so long it seems that the "C" word consumes so much of you and when you get some normalcy back in your life it's just a relief!!  I started this to share my story in hopes to help someone else with the decisions they faced.  I am going to try and post at least once a month.  That will be your monthly reminder to do your "self check".  No EXCUSES!!!  It seems lately, that way too many people I know are facing their own battle or know someone very close to them that is.  If you are one of those people in my life, please know that you are in my prayers!!  I am so excited for those of you that have had recent PRAISE reports!!!  GOD IS GOOD...ALWAYS!! 

Love & Belief!

Dana




No comments:

Post a Comment